Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 23:07:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

As Peter da Silva wrote...

> > Exabytes (the older ones) in general are 'sensitive' beasts. Cleaning etc
> > is critical.
>
> First thing I ran after hooking it up was a brand new Sony cleaning tape.

OK.

> > And you have to pick a 'good' firmware version from
> > www.exabyte.com. The one I use was recommended to me by an Exabyte
> > employee. And works OK for me.
>
> Hmmmm... I haven't tried to play with the firmware rev.

Be aware that there's 2 EPROMs, one with the SCSI firmware (on one
of the vertical little PCBs) and one hiding below the video heads
which contains the servo firmware. These are _not_ completely
independent, check out the firmware rel notes to see what works with
what. Get a set of Torx screw drivers to open the thing.
Getting the servo prom out of the drive is a nice job to do during
a snowstorm or somesuch :-)

> > > because nothing else really likes them either), and I sorts get OK results
> > > with tar -b 32 (16k blocks)... but any other block size and it barfs.
>
> > What barfs?
>
> Jan  1 17:09:58 mongrel /kernel: st0(ahb0:6:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:17
> Jan  1 17:11:29 mongrel /kernel: st0(ahb0:6:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:18
> Jan  2 20:52:54 mongrel /kernel: st0(ahb0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST
> Jan  3 06:14:38 mongrel /kernel: st0(ahb0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST

Never seen these. Before I used my 8200 with AH1542A, AH1740 and
an Ultrastor 24f. Seems to indicate it is not adapter related.

> All those MEDIUM ERRRORS are on tars and dumps at other than 16k blocks.
> A tar on the same tape after rewinding had no problem.  Sometimes I had
> to "mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind" a couple of times, but it didn't log any
> messages, just displayed "IO Error".

Guessing mode: I once had mysterious medium errors when the drive
picked up noise from a switching power supply. I assume you have
a electrically clean environment?

> > The native block size is 1kB but that's the only thing to keep in mind.
> > And the 32kB physio() limitation of course. BTW I normally use 'dump',
> > not 'tar'. But 'tar' does work also.
>
> Dump, no matter what block size I select, "sees" an end of tape immediately
> on doing the first write. At least it hits the tape, writes nothing, and
> asks for the next volume.

excerpted from my backup script..

TAPESIZE=2300000
BLOCKSIZE=64
dump 0ubBf $BLOCKSIZE $TAPESIZE $NRTAPEDEV $FS

works OK.

> We have another 8200 here at work that has been giving similar errors under
> FreeBSD on a 2940.

Don't have a 2940 to try it, but I'm hard pressed to believe it's
adapter related.

Wilko