Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:20:50 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Single character errors in source files, stop kernel compile!

tom brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running FreebSD 3.3 on a AMD-K6 box thats totally
> SCSI.
> The controller is Adaptec 2940 and the drive in
> question is
> a 40MB/sec IBM 9GB (SCSI 3?)..
>
> In the process of attempting to make a new kernel I
> follow
> the usual procedure.
>
> %cd /sys/i386/conf/
> %config KERNEL
> %cd ../../compile/KERNEL
> %make depend
>
> Everything to this point completes and reports no
> errors.
>
> %make
>
> This is where I start to get failures.  The compiler
> will stop
> with code 1 and will claim that the reason is a single
> character
> error in the source code.  A typical example would be
> the word
> "struct" spelt "strwct".  Clearly there is a problem
> which I
> doubt is the source code.

'u' is ascii code 0x75.  'w' is ascii code 0x77.  You're seeing a classic
undetected single bit error from cheap parity-less ram.  Bit 1 (0x2) in
some particular cell is turning on all by itself.

> To work around this I just repeat the make command
> again and
> again until the job is done. then I install the kernel
> and
> reboot sucessfully.
>
> Any ideas?  I'm tempted to think it's some kind of a
> problem
> with the drive, but I haven't had any real hard
> failures.

Either look out for a decent memory tester to locate the bad SIMM, or
get the memory tested by a simm tester, or swap it out and start again.
That's easier said than done with today's memory prices though.  It's not
overclocked is it?

Cheers,
-Peter