Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:08:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Bill Flamerola <flamerola@hotmail.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The problem with FreeBSD

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

>You actually make some good points about the nastiness of some people
>in the FreeBSD community. Alas, you discredit yourself by posting
>pseudonymously and by doing a great deal of flaming yourself.

Perhaps you should qualify your definition of "good points".  I saw no
evidence behind any accusations made.  I saw ad hominem attacks calling
FreeBSD developers assholes and drunkards.  Any points made by the
author were merely begging the question.  He gave no evidence that any
of the attitudes of the people he mentioned were in some way detrimental
to the project, he merely asserts that this must be true.  He is also
committing the sin of a /post hoc ergo propter hoc/ argument.  The
attitudes of a few developers within the FreeBSD community, if they are
indeed causing a problem, may not be in any way related to the effects
the poster was trying to justify cause for.  Argument without substance
is not argument at all.  It's wasted breath and/or keystrokes.

Brett, I've been reading your postings long enough to know you're an
argumentative sort and also that your mien seems to be self-perpetuating
because people now approach you as if to have an argument.  Please
understand I am not trying to argue with you.  I am pointing out
fallacies in someone else's opinions which I think you may have
overlooked.  I wish neither to defend the developers attacked by the
poster nor defend the poster himself.  Replies challenging me to do so
will be directed to /dev/null.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net