Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:16:41 +0100
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov@gmail.com>
Subject:   amd64 cc -m32 support and headers project branch

--nextPart1888453.YQFfBMEuoy

Hi,

After a hiatus of almost a year I'd like to continue with merging i386
and amd64 headers to get "cc -m32" working on amd64. Previously I tried
to fix any problems with the headers first before merging, but this turned
out to be a long tedious process. So, because lack of -m32 support is
blocking other development I'd like to just merge a minimal set of
headers without any macro/type definition changes or other
reorganisations. The result will be similar to existing powerpc and mips
headers which already support both 32 and 64 bit.

When that's done I can create a development branch to work on the
problems that have come up. Possible goals for such a branch are:

- Fix inconsistencies such as types defined in sys/ and their limits
  in machine/. Also, sometimes the limits don't have the correct type.
- For types/limits defined under machine/ there is a lot of duplication
  between architectures. Try to move some to sys/.
- Try to make headers compiler agnostic; limit use of __attribute__,
  __builtin_* to a single file.
- Maybe remove support for gcc 2.*. The oldest version in ports is 3.4
  and I suspect some headers don't compile anymore with gcc 2.*.
- Add support for new compiler attributes/built-ins.
- Add missing POSIX prototypes, maybe commented out with /* UNIMPL ... */
  or similar so they can be grepped.
- The gcc ports currently patch some system headers where they think
  something is non-standard. These patched headers override the system
  headers which means you have to rebuild these ports whenever you do
  installworld to make sure they contain the latest changes. Some headers
  are trivial to fix, others less so.

If there are no objections, I'd like to start with the -m32 work in
a week or so.