Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 19:44:03 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        marcio@cyclades.com, ivan@cyclades.com, waz@cyclades.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   BETA Cyclades Cyclom-Z driver

I just wanted to let everyone know that I rolled a BETA release of a FreeBSD
driver for the Cyclades Cyclom-8Zo card. The driver has reached the point where
its "working ok for me", and for the tasks I'm putting it through. I still have
a few efficiency tweaks to work in, but I'm really hoping to get some mileage
on it so I can find any bugs that I may of missed, and get input from anyone
who has troubles with it, or ideas for the driver.

Currently, there is a copy of the driver at ftp://ftp.beta.com/pub/cz-beta.tgz.
As time permits me later tonight, I will be placing another copy on
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/incoming.

The driver will be capable of supporting up to 4 8 port Zo cards in a PC. My
initial testing had CPU utilization at 2-3% per active port on a Pentium Pro
200. Most of this was application time (1.2% was for the interrupt handler,
and I've since increased the handler's efficiency).

Support for the Ze cards is forthcoming. I'm waiting for additional data
from Cyclades about the new cards (gee, Scott, can I get a free-bee 64 port
to write with? :) ), as well as a problem with working out some minor device
numbers. Big hint to Cyclades ;p, also to the FreeBSD team about answering
the question I posted today :)

If anyone who has access to these cards can take it for a test drive,
and report bugs to mcgovern@spoon.beta.com, I'd greatly appreciate it.

For those who don't know, the Cyclades Cyclom-Zo is an 8 port intelligent
serial card, capable of line speeds of 460K/s (untested as of yet, as I need
to bring my second board back to work so I can test them back to back) with
minimal CPU utilization. Definately worth checking out.

If there are any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to write
to mcgovern@spoon.beta.com.
	-Brian