Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:14:48 -0800
From:      "HarryH" <forHarryH@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD & Solais 9 questions

Hi,
I have BSD 4.8 and want to install it on a server that already had =
Windows 2000 Server and Advanced Server.   I want to install BSD on a =
spare partition so my questions are:
  1.  Will BSD install for multiple boot with Windows already there and =
if so,=20
  2.  How much disk space do I need for a good server/workstation =
install - no games or source code -  will 5GB do the job?  Do I need =
more?
  3.  What are the potential problems that I need to be aware of during =
and after installation?

I just installed Solaris 9 X86 on an older PC with a 4GB HD, and it will =
not allow me to logon.  It issues a message, "DT Messaging system could =
not be started"  and tells me how to work around it with a "failsafe =
logon" and files to check.  I have been all over the Internet looking =
for solutions.  This appears to be a fairly common problem but none of =
the solutions seem to really work.  Do any of you know of a good Solaris =
Users Group?

I am new to Unix.
Thanks,
Harry      =20