Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 06:59:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        sdd@ccd.tas.gov.au (Scott Donovan)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting Problem with SCSI/HD

>   Bit of an annoying problem with a SCSI Hard disk. I have an adaptec 2940
> controller with a seagate 410800N sitting on it..
>
>  Unfortunately the kernel is reporting a disk error on a sector. (Which at
> the moment is sitting smack bang in the middle of our WWW proxy cache :-) )
>
> When I do a verify/remap through the controller, it does not find the
> "bogus" sector, is there anyway of avoiding having to low level the drive ?

You should include the dmesg output.  Verify that ARRE and AWRE are
set to 1 in the mode page editor (scsi -m; see scsi 8).  Your
drive should then reallocate sectors when they fail EXCEPT if it
can't read the bad data (it will remap if it reads after some retries).

If it can't read the data you have little choice other than
to read/ignore error/write that sector and lose data or ask me to
send you a small program that will let you issue an explicit
reallocate sector command to the drive.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936