Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:32:32 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        <alex@aspenworks.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dialin T1 forwarded to a new location

This is possible, but you'll be paying milage on those lines.

One way, is to use an add/drop CSU to bridge the CT1/PRI to your long
haul, but this still requires you to have equipment in the remote
location.  You're also going to pay more for each of those PtP T1s than
you would for the other option, which would be to get FX lines from your
telco.  This completely removes the need to maintain equipment at a
remote location, but you'll be paying milage on those circuts.

In the past, I've used FX lines for the first couple of PRI.  But in my
location, the milage on 3 lines is more than enough to pay for a PtP T1
and a remote facility.

To give an example, to serve a town about 20 miles away, I'm paying
about $300/month extra for the FX.  A PtP T1 is something along the
lines of $450/month.  At 2 PRI, it's $600.  At 3, it's $900, which is
enough to cover the PtP T1 and rent for a building.  Better yet, I try
to find some company or organization that is willing to trade a closet
for bandwidth.  A single T1 for data should be able to support 8-10 PRI
without issue.  For me, that's a savings of about $2500/month.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks