Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:51:48 -0400
From:      "Stephen Comoletti" <rugose@www.delanet.com>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fw: New Install

> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Stephen Comoletti wrote:
>
> > > During the device configuration step, you need to change the i/o base
for
> > > wdc0 to be irq 10, i/o 0xfff0.  That's a really strange i/o base tho,
> > does
> > > it really speak IDE?
> >
> > I gave that a try..no go. I even set the iomem correctly (the ultra33
was
> > setup as 000c8000). It paused a long time on the probe, but came up as
not
> > found again. I've done about everything I can think of..even disabling
the
> > primary ide and plug&play from the cmos setup. This is starting to look
> > hopeless much to my dismay..
> > Is there anything else I could try?
>
> Try moving things onto the motherboard controller and yank the Ultra33
> out.

Already tried that with no success. Another fallback here is that the
quantum drive is one of the new ultra ata types..yeah it's nice and
fast..but so far..only for win95. The motherboard ide isnt fully compat
with ultra ata and has a minor conflict which causes the drive d to be
assigned to a non existant device (yes, in windows). So my hd now has
drives c,e,f instead of c,d,e. Gateway acknowledged this bug and is working
with intel on it however since the drive was designed for the ultra ata
controller, they arent putting any real effort into it.

Since the probe is detecting the ultra33 card as a valid pci pnp device,
I'm assuming there is a way to make it recognize the drive itself..the
other reason for wanting the ultra33 card is that it supports lba and I
will not have the 1024 cylinder limitation.

If anyone has any far reaches..let me know. I'm willing to test pretty much
anything on this machine. I have the drive backed up and I'm still well
covered under warranty and on site service should anything happen *shrug*.

Steve