Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:19:23 +0300
From:      Dennis Melentyev <dennis@mebius-kb.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Rob Snow <rsnow@my-deja.com>
Subject:   Re: Hmm, I can't build a kernel now...

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:48:04PM -0700, Rob Snow wrote:
> Aye, I did an installworld, then rebooted to single to try to build a kernel with new world installed...failed...did a fresh and complete make world and it still failed in the same manner.  I have tried the make buildkernel (no options, I just want a GENERIC so I can boot to multiuser ATM)
>
> I'm in the process of doing a make buildworld, make buildkernel, make install kernel, make install world from fresh cvsup as of this afternoon.
>
> I've gone over UPDATING and searched the archives...wouldn't be hitting you guys up if this was a RTFM.
>
> (Hold on, hope buildworld just completed)....make buildkernel explodes the same place and in the same fashion.  BTW, I have nuked /usr/src/sys and re-cvsup'ed the sys tree, no luck.
>
> Some additional info on my error (this is a rehash of the error from my previous post)
> This is very early in locore.s, error looks like:
>
> {standard input}:1748: Error: .space specifies non-absolute value
> {standard input}:2474: Error: undefinded symbol L0^A in operation setting PTmap
> {standard input}:2474: Error: undefinded symbol PDRSHIFT in operation setting PTmap
>
> NOTE: There is a ^A right after the 0 which shifts my display to inverse.
I've got the same trouble. And solution was to rebuild world with
rm -Rf /usr/obj before.
It helpes me. The main trouble is with some code in genassym

Here the URL which m.b. helpes you:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=173377+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000freebsd-stable/20000730.freebsd-stable

> Thanks for any suggestions or hints.
>
> -Rob
>

> >Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:21:54 -0500
> >From: Michael Urban <murban@tznet.com>
> >To: Rob Snow <rsnow@my-deja.com>
> >Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> >Subject: Re: Hmm, I can't build a kernel now...
> >
> >Well, you mention that you did a buildworld that completed fine.. Did
> >you do installworld as well?
> >
> >Second, did you use the new method to build your kernel? See the
> >handbook. The method of building a new kernel after a make world has
> >changed.
> >
> >It's now:
> >
> >make buildkernel KERNEL=KERNEL_NAME
> >make installkerel KERNEL=KERNEL_NAME
> >
> >Instead of the old config, make depend, make, make install sequence.
> >
> >On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 06:16:42PM -0700, Rob Snow wrote:
> >> Hola,
> >>
> >> cvsup'ed late last night to RELENG_4 and did a buildworld, which completed fine.  This morning, I tried to build my kernel (and GENERIC) and got bad mojo in locore.s:
> >>
> >> {standard input}:1748: Error: .space specifies non-absolute value
> >> (etc, etc)
> >>
> >> So I decied to go single user and start from semi-scratch, thinking some things might have changed more drastically than I had envisioned.  Make world completed, but make buildkernel or doing it by hand results in the same errors.
> >>
> >> I should add that this machine was last make world'ed 2-3 months ago, pre-4.1.
> >>
> >> Sorry for sending this via deja, but my IMAP server seems to be down atm =)
> >>
> >> Please reply to this address with suggestions, as I can't see my mail lists either.
> >>
> >> -Rob

                            Dennis Melentyev
                C/C++ programmer @ Mebius-KB, Kiev, Ukraine
                        dennis@mebius-kb.kiev.ua