Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:47:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        francisco@federation.addy.com, FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help me reply to Infoworld correspondent: what is diff between BSDI and FreeBSD?

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 01:43:58PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
>> In this week's Infoworld there is a review on Red Hat Linux. I wrote
>> to the author (Eric Hammond) telling him about FreeBSD. He mentioned
>> He recently did a review in which he included BSDI and also said
>> there is another review in which BSDI will be included.
>>
>> I am familiar with FreeBSD Vs Linux discussions (and even a bit about
>> Open BSD, Net BSD), but never really have seen much about BSDI.
>>
>> One of the things he wrote was:
>> "I'm assuming that Internet Server is the commercial version of
>> FreeBSD.
>> Correct me if I'm wrong."
>> By internet Server he is referring to BSDI.
>>
>> How different are these products (BSDI and FreeBSD)?
>
> In many regards, enormously.
>
>> I can prepare some little promo to send to him telling him about
>> FreeBSD, but I want to answer his comment about BSDI vs FreeBSD.
>
> (much good stuff about the difference between free and commercial
> omitted)

Agreed, but that's not the point Francisco (or Eric) was making.
What's the technical difference?

This is probably flame bait, but I'd say "not much".  Recall that as a
normal user (not buyer), you're interested neither in the way the
software is devloped and distributed, nor in implementation details.
And BSD/OS is close enough in feel to FreeBSD that I've mistaken one
for the other on my own network from time to time.

Still, it's oversimplifying things to say that BSD/OS is a commercial
version of FreeBSD.  Those days are, indeed, past.  IMO the days are
also past when BSD/OS was obviously better than FreeBSD.

Greg