Date:      01 Sep 1999 17:35:06 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Shigeyuki Fukushima <shige@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, jseger@FreeBSD.org, hetzels@westbend.net
Subject:   Re: ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.emacs.mk (Re: emacs-XX)

 * shige>    a.) ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.emacs.mk
 * shige>    b.) ${PORTSDIR}/editors/emacs.inc

 * If there is no objection, I adopt plan a.), and want to import NEW
 * bsd.port.emacs.mk to ${PORTSDIR}/Mk, or to ask for asami-san to do so.

Why do people want it to be in ${PORTSDIR}/Mk?  If it's because they
think they can build a port outside of the ports tree by using

.include "${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.emacs.mk"

instead of

.include "${.CURDIR}/../../editors/emacs.inc"

let me note that you need to somehow get the definition of ${PORTDIR}
first, and it will thus not work unless you include it after
bsd.port.mk or at least bsd.port.pre.mk.

Including it after bsd.port.mk will of course open a whole new can of
worms (just think what will happen if you use one of the directory
names in PLIST_SUB).  That means it has to be with bsd.port.pre.mk.

Do people really want to do that?

Satoshi