Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:38:11 +0900
From:      Kazuaki Oda <kaakun@highway.ne.jp>
To:        David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: calcru: runtime went backwards

David Xu wrote:
> Just ran a stress test on 6.1-PRELEASE, and got :
>
> davidxu@tiger:/home/davidxu/stress2/testcases/thr1> ./thr1
> Feb 24 08:02:10 tiger login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv1
> calcru: runtime went backwards from 39012220 usec to 39011621 usec for
> pid 789 (
> thr1)
> calcru: runtime went backwards from 45138436 usec to 45138007 usec for
> pid 789 (
> thr1)

I've been getting calcru messages on 6-STABLE when stress-testing an
application linked with libpthread.  As far as my experience goes,
these messages are only for ones linked with libpthread.  If the same
application is linked with libthr, these messages go away.

As I post about the same issue on -CURRENT a few days ago, I guess
these messages are caused by the programs which access process states.
ps(1), top(1) etc.  Because if I run the following command on the test
target machine, I can easily get them.
% sh -c "while true; do ps ax >/dev/null; done"

I hope this issue will be fixed before 6.1-RELEASE.

----
Kazuaki Oda