Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:44:38 -0800
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cleanning ports

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Bernie wrote:
> if i wanna clean all the obj etc from the ports tree,
> can i go to /usr/ports and do a 'make clean' ? or do i have
> to make a script that changes to all subdirs and do 'make clean' on
> each dir?

Depending on what you want to do, and how much time you want to devote
to doing it, there are several ways to do this:

1.  Do a 'make clean' from /usr/ports/ and go out for lunch, dinner, and
a movie.  Might be done by the time you get back.  :)  j/k

2.  Write a shell script to step through all the sub-directories doing
'make clean'.  This isn't my idea of fun, though, and simply reproduces
what #1 does.

3.  Write a shell script to delete "/usr/ports/*/*/work/".  This should
be faster than either of the above, and can be extended to delete
"/usr/ports/distfiles/*".

4.  Install the excellent portupgrade port and use the included
portsclean util.  This will do #3 for you atuomagically.  Very handy.

I have a shell script that does #4, a cvsup of the ports tree, rebuilds
the INDEX database, and performs a check for outdated installed
ports(via portversion -v).  Every Monday, I get to work with an e-mail
telling me how up-to-date my machine is.  :)  Very useful little
package, portupgrade.  If you use the ports tree, then I find it to be a
"must-have".

Cheers,
Freddie			PhoenixTek Consulting
fcash@bigfoot.com	Unix / Networking Services