Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@auchroisk.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ulimit...

(Sorry if I'm writing to the wrong FreeBSD list.  "current" seems the
most applicable to me...)

> Signal 24 is SIGXCPU (exceeded CPU time limit).  Check your ulimit
> settings ("limit" if you use csh) and your login.conf setup.

Have you guys considered turning off limits by default?  It seems that
every FreeBSDer at one time or another is bit by this (including me).
There must have been at least 50 questions on the FreeBSD lists from
people wondering why they get SIGXCPU, "out of memory", etc.

If they were off by default, this problem wouldn't exist.  And for
those that do want to turn them on, they can customize login.conf
based on their system's resources, such as amount of RAM, number of
users, etc.

David