Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 1995 15:19:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        jkh@freebsd.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "How to install 2.0.5R" tutorial wanted.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> ... there are also some new concepts being introduced here and it's
> already been noted that the 2.0.5R installation isn't entirely
> fault-tolerant when it comes to users coloring outside the lines.

OH!  We are supposed to color *inside* the lines? ;-)

> Therefore, I thought it might be nice if someone could write down
> the steps involved in a "typical installation", one chapter each
> for tape, ftp, NFS and floppy (the CDROM install I don't expect anyone
> to document yet, given that the CDs aren't back from duplication! :).

Having done a dos partition install about a 100 times lately (does that
qualify me for a cd? :-) I will have a go at that one, as soon as I can
fetch all the stuff again... it seems to have changed again since my
last massive download.  I will even write about how to recover from
getting your MBR stepped on. :-)

> Yes, I've already written an "installation guide", but I think that I'm
> too close to the problem and there are aspects of the installation that
> I probably took far too much for granted when I wrote the doc.  Something
> written from the user's point of view would be FAR superior to my own
> stuff, and would save new installers a lot of trouble.

please mail me a copy of what you have anyway, in case I am forgetting
something, etc...
--
Jan Isley            | If you couldn't find any weirdness,
jan@bagend.atl.ga.us | maybe we'll just have to make some! - Hobbes