Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:32:45 -0500
From:      Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about the state of current

On 2002-10-29 11:40 +0000, Raymond Kohler wrote:
> I'm now a stable user, and I'm considering moving to current to get a jump on upgrading and help with the testing effort. I have some questions about its performance:
>
> 1) How is the speed compared to stable? I remember it being just too slow some months ago and was wondering how it was improving.

I haven't been on -STABLE for a long time now, but other comments seem
to suggest that any performance hit being experienced is negligible.

> 2) Are the random hangs in X fixed yet? I can put up with a few issues (it is current, after all), but that's just too much to bear.

X has caused me zero trouble over the past ten months on -CURRENT,
partly because I was lucky to have it compiled and working at the right
time, partly 'just because'. I've had far more trouble with other things
that just came from having built world at a time when things were
unstable.

> 3) Are there any Very Important Packages (mozilla, kde, &c) that won't build or refuse to work right?

Mozilla builds fine, I build phoenix out of cvs a few times a week. I
don't use KDE, but others seem to have it working fine. My -CURRENT box
is my primary desktop, I have about 200 ports installed of various size
and complexity. Besides noticing the odd breakage of a port and
submitting a patch/PR, it hasn't been much trouble. Just remember to
read the -current list frequently.

--
Munish Chopra