Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:51:35 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Florin Nicolescu <fnicoles@pcnet.pcnet.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: Y2K bug

In message <199903120731.JAA11891@nick.ro> Florin Nicolescu writes:
: According to the discontinuities in the earth move around the sun,
: once a four years there is inserted an extra day (29 of February),
: but once a 400 years (when the first 2 digits of the year divide by
: 4) it is not added. This is the case for 2000 (20 mod 4 = 0). When I
: inserted the date 29 of February 2000 in FreeBSD, it has accepted it
: OK, meaning that it believes that 2000 has the date 29 of Feb. I
: don't know about other systems, but I know that a lot of people
: ignore this rule (I've just looked into my agenda, and it has the
: same error).

Feb 29, 2000 is a leap year.  Your leap year rule is wrong.  The
correct rule is as follows
	if (year is divisible by 4) -> leap year
	unless also divisible by 100 -> not a leap year (eg 1900)
	unless also divisible by 400 -> leap year (eg 2000)

FreeBSD (and most systems) handles this correctly.  It is not a bug.

Warner