Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:27:46 +0800
From:      "kai ouyang" <oykai@msn.com>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        Current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi,a little question about DP2.

Dear Wollman,
>From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
>For backwards compatibility, the FreeBSD 4.x kernel would fake up the
>partition tables so that they would look like old (pre-slicing)
>FreeBSD partition tables; i.e., the starting offset of the slice would
>be subtracted from all of the partition offsets on read and added back
>in on write.  The disk partitioning subsystem in 5.x doesn't do this.
>-GAWollman
Thank you!
I also want to know if I want use LVM(Logical Volume Management), I need
create
pseudo-device in "/dev". How can I do?
In 4.x, I can use  'disklabel' to change partition's size, offset and type,
but in Current, I coudn't do that.
i.e.
# disklabel -e /dev/da1s1
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
but the 'da1s1' device-name exists in '/dev'.
For my old experience in DP1, I compile kernel with option 'NO_DEVFS', so I
can
create pseudo-device as in 4.x.
Whether I must use DP2 without DEVFS to use LVM?
Best Regards
  Ouyang Kai