Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jan Isley <jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>
To:        tsai@server.keck.lmu.edu (Stephen Tsai)
Cc:        tsai@server.keck.lmu.edu, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MH 6.8.3 package problem!

Stephen Tsai wrote:

> >> 3) recompile mh
> >> I understand that you do not want to recompile mh, but it is very
> >> easy to do with the ports files.  You can configure mh to do its
> >> own delivery, but you must recompile it to do so.
>
> I can recompile mh if it is really necessary and there is no other simple
> way to make the mh work properly on the client machines.

There may be other ways, but I am not aware of any.

> >> 4) you *might* get mh to work with smail 2.5.  it is very small and
> >>   easy to configure.
> Since it's *might*.  I would go for other alternatives.

I unsuccessfully tried to get mh to work with smail 2.5 a long time
ago but it was a limitation of the System V R2 that I was using, not
mh and maybe not smail 2.5

> I will try to recompile the mh.  Could you please tell me how to configure
> mh to do its own delivery?  Thanks for your help.

I have not done this, so I cannot give more specifics than this.
In /usr/ports/mail/mh/work/mh-6.8.3/conf the file mh-gen.8 is a man
page that discusses configuration options.  The ports package creates
a "FreeBSD" config file in this directory, the default is "MH".  You
want to look at the section in mh-gen that talks about "stand-alone"
setup.  In the compile config file you will need to set mts to mhmts.
There are other options set in the "FreeBSD" config file that probably
should not be set for you, like BIND.