Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 22:46:44 +0200
From:      Alberto Villa <avilla@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Options name, descriptions and consistency

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On of the reasons of bsd.options.desc.mk is to be able to share common options
> and descriptions, to have better consistency between ports and to have general
> meaning descriptions that make more sense, has anyone can improve the
> description of an option.

While I really like what bsd.options.desc.mk is supposed to do, I
would like to recommend to any committer/maintainer (and I will
personally submit a patch for the soon-to-come documentation and for
the file itself) to think before always relying on on default option
descriptions.

Sometimes just saying "Enable XXX support" doesn't mean anything to
the user, and a more explanatory text would be far better, explaining
maybe what feature one is about to enable instead of just what he is
going to depend on.

So, please, do not hesitate to redefine option descriptions for your
ports if you feel you can add more information for the port specific
case.
--
Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avilla@FreeBSD.org>
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla