Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:02:31 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Jonathan Smith" <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>, "Michael" <enews@michaelvince.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bad apache ports on stable 4.0

From: "Jonathan Smith" <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
> CC'd to ports where it belongs.
> (Please respond only there as I don't think this is a -stable issue).
>
> I'd like to suggest they add this to the messages that says to hadd the
> handler lines, it certainly would have saved me grief -- and you.
>
> I had the same problems (and a few worse ones).

It's not needed as APXS adds those lines automatically to the httpd.conf file.

The following command will add the [Add|Load]Module info to the httpd.conf file, if it doesn't exist.
If it exists and there is a "#" at the begining of the line, then the "#" is removed.
If it exists and there is no "#" at the beginning of the line, then the line is left unchanged.

/usr/local/sbin/apxs -e -a -n php4 libphp4.so

The following command will comment out the [Add|Load]Module info by adding a "#" to the beginning of the line.

/usr/local/sbin/apxs -e -A -n php4 libphp4.so

I just did an install of mod_php4 on my system and it added the [Add|Load]Module info to the httpd.conf file automatically.

Before install:

# Example:
# LoadModule foo_module libexec/mod_foo.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module libexec/apache/mod_vhost_alias.so
:
:
LoadModule unique_id_module   libexec/apache/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module    libexec/apache/mod_setenvif.so
<IfDefine FRONTPAGE>
LoadModule frontpage_module   libexec/apache/mod_frontpage.so
</IfDefine>

# make install
===>  Installing for mod_php-4.0.0
===>   mod_php-4.0.0 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/apxs - found
Making install in Zend
:
:
Making install in apache
Making install in .
/usr/local/sbin/apxs -i -a -n php4 libs/libphp4.so
install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel libs/libphp4.so /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so
[activating module `php4' in /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf]
===>   Generating temporary packing list

After install:

# Example:
# LoadModule foo_module libexec/mod_foo.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module libexec/apache/mod_vhost_alias.so
:
:
LoadModule unique_id_module   libexec/apache/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module    libexec/apache/mod_setenvif.so
<IfDefine FRONTPAGE>
LoadModule frontpage_module   libexec/apache/mod_frontpage.so
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>

After pkg_delete mod_php-4.0.0 apxs is used to disable the [Add|Load]Module lines:
(/usr/local/sbin/apxs -e -A -n php4 libphp4.so)

# Example:
# LoadModule foo_module libexec/mod_foo.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module libexec/apache/mod_vhost_alias.so
:
:
LoadModule unique_id_module   libexec/apache/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module    libexec/apache/mod_setenvif.so
<IfDefine FRONTPAGE>
LoadModule frontpage_module   libexec/apache/mod_frontpage.so
#LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>

One interesting thing is that APXS  inserted the [Add|Load]Module between the <IfDefine XXX>...</IfDefine> section.

Scot