Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 01:36:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang/expect/scripts configure

 * Wait, what?  You want to install TCL internal header files to
 * /usr/local someplace?  Aieee!  No, that's not really a good idea.
 *
 * The contents of files such as tclInt.h and friends are not part of the
 * published interface and they should most definitely not go into a
 * public location where others might be tempted to use them.  The fact
 * that certain packages require incestuous knowledge of TCL's private
 * places is an evil thing, but at least it's relatively contained evil.

Considering the ugliness of the hack that is required to make these
"evil" ports happy (did you see what I had to do to expect?), adding a
private header or two (which are part of freely available sources
anyway) to our /usr/local (we can even make a separate directory with
a red flashing warning) is really not that bad.

 * Remember The Exorcist: It was his job to contain the evil and drive it
 * back, not feed it.  You, Satoshi, are The Exorcist of the ports
 * collection and it's your job to keep evil at bay!
 *
 * Yeah, if we can just ignore for a moment the fact that the Evil
 * managed to kill the good guy at the end of The Exorcist, that's not a
 * bad analogy.. :-)

I don't really feel like replicating all that cruft in the other ports
(tclX74 and tk4?  is that all?).  I don't want to be the good guy who
got killed by sticking to the principle too much. :)

Satoshi