Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:23:30 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86

On Monday 05 June 2006 11:08, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> Most distros have switched to Xorg, but i want to use XFree86 (i'm adding
> features to it). I'll migrate from Debian-sid to FreeBSD if things are
> suitable.
>
> I find Xorg has gone backwards by creating all kinds of build dependencies
> on the host environment by using Autoconf and dpkg.
>
> If i use XFree86, will any of the ports package dependencies complain about
> not having Xorg?

Packages will complain, ports shouldnt though. You need to set X_WINDOW_SYSTEM
variable in make.conf (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#XFREE86-VERSION).

> Is XFree86 ports in FreeBSD up to date and maintained, or will i need to do
> it myself?

Well, I'm trying to maintain it, you are welcome to help though :-) There is
currently patch to upgrade ports to 4.6.0 at
http://people.freebsd.org/~lesi/xf46-277.diff

Dejan