Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 07:17:20 -0700
From:      "frank amo" <lxfrank90@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4 , ipfw rules, and problem with samba

Hello
I have some questions and some problems that have occured in reference to
these questions
I have configured and currently operate a semi hybrid network
There are several operating systems
3 Windows systems 2 95 and 1 98 Workstations
2 Red Hat Linux 6 1 systems configured one a Samba Server and one NFS
2 SlackWare Linux 7 1 configured as NFS Servers
1 Red Hat Linux 7 1 workstation only
1 Suse 7.1 workstation only
1 FreeBSD 4.4 GateWay and Packet Filtering Router
1 Linksys 4 port cable DSL router
1 DSL modem

This is what my network looks like from end to end

Before I implemented ipfw and the rc config file in FreeBSD I was able
to access my samba server from windows and linux workstations as well as
being able to access my routers webbased configuraton home page built in its
firmware without ever having a problem that I was not able to fix on it

On the FreeBSD router everything works smoothly with NAT

Strangley as soon as I enabled the firewall configured rules as well as
other options in the firewall config file in FreeBSD my Samba server is no
longer accessible by my windows or linux clients
I also cannot access my linksys routers webbased configuration home page
using its default ip address

Starting from the linksys router I use the default lan ip address of
192 168 1 1 slash 24 connected directly to ep0 on the FreeBSD server having
an ip address of 192 168 1 88 slash 24

My second interface card ep1 on the same server contains an ipaddress of 192
168 0 1 slash 24

My internal lan ip address is obviously 192 168 0 slash 24
Every computer can ping each other locally
NFS works smoothly on all systems and
I can browse the internet behind both the linksys and the FreeBSD routers

I can no longer access my samba server which was never touched both smbd and
nmbd along with portmapper are available
I check the samba config file with testparm and has no errors to it
I restart samba and run smbstatus with problem locally
Samba broadcasts are also displayed in tcpdump from my FreeBSD gateway
server
None of my windows computers can access my samba server now
NBTSTAT with its options can see the workgroup and even the samba server in
the dos prompt but cannot find a path to it
I can ping by name to make sure that NBT works properly on Samba as well as
windows and get nmbd responses so both ports 137 and 139 are working
When I remove the FreeBSD router and change my ip address to the subnet that
defaults to my linksys router samba works again and I can
access my linksys routers configuration web page
To troubleshoot this I used nmap for linux and superscan for windows
my linksys routers webbased configuration page displays as filtered and the
samba server displays ports 139 23 79 98 111
The portscanner results have always been the same to samba when working
successfully
The linksys router shows only port 80 by default as open

I am strongly suspecting that the firewall initilization has some how
assumed some kind of network wide policy to filter samba access to the net
bios session service port 139 port 137 seems to work fine because windows is
able to ping samba by its name without the need for an lmhosts file
specification
I dont know very much about networking to the degree of understating how
unicast or byte order will affect a network locally
I have a very simple network with no complicated or advanced configurations
But I know it well enough to know where a problem is coming from and rely on
port scanners as tools to tell me what services are active on a system
I know and could bet someone that my samba server is configured properly my
hosts file is consistent enough to ping by name
my hosts allow file is the same as it was when it works
I mean the only change on the network I have to make is to shut down the bsd
server then change my ip address back to the 192 168 1  subnet
to use the linksys router as their gateway to get access to my routers
configuration webpage and to access my samba again

I strongly believe that I need to set a firewall rule to map my ports
properly
If only I could email someone an attachment or a copy of all of my
configuration files on FreeBSD to quickly anylyse them but I know thats out
of the question
With the firewall enabled in the rcconf file the path to my firewall rules
and the rcfirewall with its current configuraton i can access the internet
using nat on the FreeBSD behind the nat on the linksys router

One more thing when using nmap or superscan against both interfaces of the
freeBSD router I only get the ports that are active on that system only not
the ports of the computers that I am attempting to forward behind the
FreeBSD router
I have expirience with the Linksys router and other type of firewalls that
when I run nmap I get a list of what ports are listening
Nmap doesnt lie its pretty honest about things the only time it will fail on
me is when a system is either turned off or when it is blocking ping
requests
For example if I use the forwarding option on the linksys router with the
block wan request disable and specify port 80 to a host with an ip address
of 192.168.1.55 then given that the host has a ready and working web server
nmap will list that port for me
Another example is the DMZ host feature of the linksys router there is only
one entry to put one ip address for DMZ if my host that I want set to DMZ ip
address is 192.168.1.20 with block wan request disabled then given that I
have more than one  service port open on my dmz hosting computer lets say
ports 80 22 1721 25 110  2049 111 1024 53 21 20 etc and that those ports are
up and running then by nmapping  the router I will see all of the ports that
are running and listening
If one of those services goes bad or turns into a zombie then nmap will
display filtered or closed

I want to configure my FreeBSD Packet Filtering Router to be my real
firewall as well as a VPN server
I am configuring a collection of servers mainly Linux and Unix BASED systems
that can be access remotely and wirelessly for research and development of
Unix Based System.
Using the FreeBSD as a packet filtering router I am more than impressed with
its performance it seems that my internet speed increased dramatically when
using this double firewall dont ask me why but the difference is more than
obvious than with the linksys router alone
I want to funnel all of my servers through the ipfw rules on my BSD router
and output them services through the DMZ host feature of the linksys router
With that configuration I know Im an ameature but I find it very efficient
and in some ways a little more secure and better than using a stupid
firewall program like zone alarm or black ice defender
This way since the linksys router cannot handle too many services alone
could only forward ports from one computer instead of more thereby relieving
it of overhead and processing of queries incoming and outgoing
Second the script kiddies who break passed my linksys router will are
likeley to stop in one subnet and just hang there stupid while i watch them
through tcpdump

I hope I make a little sense and with this long statement can provide
information to help you answer my question and give me tips to fix my
problem I appreciate IDEAS examples based on the identification of my
problems

frank