Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 03:33:27 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dedicated ISDN flags question

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 01:23:42PM -0600, Alex Charalabidis wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Michael Lucas wrote:
> >
> You probably have a timeout set in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf ("set timeout 1800"
> maybe). If not, the remote system could be killing your idle connection.
> The 3com ISDN TA is highly reliable as far as connection stability goes,
> according to my experience with it (I'd still rather pay for a Pipeline
> though :).

One could still ping the other side frequently (look for the -i option in
the ping man page :-) ), at least, as a Christmas workaround :-)

(With the -i option you can set the ping interval. One packet per minute
or even less should be enough.)

If I do something like this here, I cannot pay my phone bill anymore! :-(

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,