Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 1995 07:38:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      hm@ernie.altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

>From the keyboard of Julian Stacey:

> > From: Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
> > Has this proven to be a problem for anyone,
>
> Hacker is not a good word in Germany:

Hackers is not such a bad word in germany, people begin to realize the
difference between hackers and crackers.

> 	- I have talked to numerous technical & managerial people in Germany,
> 	  (in offices & more numerously at conferences etc) about the benefits
> 	  of FreeBSD, their reaction swings negative whenever the opposition
> 	  overhear me, butt in, & say "it's done by a load of hackers, what do
> 	  you expect for free !"

There is a difference between "it's done by a load of hackers" (which is
perfectly ok and is the truth) and "what do you expect for free" (which is
the real and only trouble for "free" products).

> 	- there's a Hackers Handbook,

There is also a Unix Haters Handbook.

> 	- we have a Chaos Club up north `full of hackers' (to quote common
> 	  perception),

The public has realized that the CCC and its "hackers" do something for the
public in showing up security holes where the above mentioned "managers"
would like to make the public believe there are no holes ...

> 	- eg NC (Networks & Comms) magazine 6/95 P22 Col 2 Para 2 (my

Magazines in general need to sell their product, and in order to survive
they (think they) need to write in this yellow press style. It's not only
the word "hackers" that sell, but also "sex" and "internet" - so nothing
special about "hacker"!

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe