Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2020 13:44:44 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd should be rewritten based on microkernel architecture
References:  <3f1496d1f598c84b3871b630f161256e152aca75.camel@tom.com> <CAGBxaXmvde89R%2BREcup9PEV6SAzQAitwHn9og92uz51GYpu%2B%2BQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAEJNuHwewpssL-t49D9pLYWNqYqwAzx4bE2eQdtow05=E9UY5Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAGBxaXmvaNtiFZiza_fGrHzWAcMp64d_NWstwvvVvQ959oGWHQ@mail.gmail.com> <681077991.2278153.1587146552233@mail.yahoo.com> <CAGBxaXkMQf9Gs2bujJZjR0Gcv3nyig_FgcGc8m8282fB8_e_Xg@mail.gmail.com>

On 4/17/20 1:18 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 2:03 PM Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm a system architect/Sr System Administrator, comp sci degree, 30 years
>> experience, etc.
>>
>> I have to make a living.  I do so with RH/CentOS etc.
>>
>> Honestly, if people truly understood the difference between BSD and Linux
>> (full OS vs kernel) and all the nuances as well as the philosophy, I truly
>> believe that there would be a large migration to FreeBSD.  Most of the
>> largest and most successful companies in their respective fields use it.
>> (Apple, Netflix, NetApp, etc)
>>

> A very important distinction needs to be made here all the above (including
> your use as sys/netadmin) are essentially  end user applications and thus
> there revenue is derived from means other then selling the code they
> develop.    Apple is first and foremost a hardware company, Netflix is a
> content company, NetApp sales raw disk space (btw I should thank them for
> bhyve).
>
> As a *programmer* I make my living from writing code and the fundamental
> problem with GPL is it forces me to give away the one way I make a living
> (I do not sell hardware, IT services, movie rentals, etc.).   How is it
> fair under any possible definition of fair to force me to give away the
> thing I need/use to survive?

The answer here is simple: it is free World (hm, almost). Don't do what
you feel is not fair with respect to you. If you [partly] use GNU
licensed code, you will have to release whatever uses it written by you
under the same GNU license.

If you don't want to, but still need to use/incorporate into your code
somebody's else, you can use code released under open source licenses
that allow to keep derived code closed source (BSD and Apache licenses
come to mind). Another alternative, get yourself hired by company, which
creates closed source products and which likely will own everything you
create. You will get your dough for programming. How fair _that_ is you
will discover when you leave the company and will not be able you re-use
the code you created being in that company for anything else.

There always are choices. I was a programmed once, but now I'm humble
sysadmin, but no, not because of software licensing affecting my life.
This is something I do better these days.

Just my 2 cents.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator