Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 00:51:36 +0900
From:      john cooper <john@isi.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        john@isi.co.jp, tfujii@isi.co.jp
Subject:   BIND/Mail/MX Question..

I've been trying to get a firewall cobbled together with 2.2.7.
The problem I'm now having appears to center around maintaining
internal and external DNS databases on the firewall [this is the
way our current black-box firewall does it, I don't know if there
is an easier way..]

For example, outside the firewall there are 202.214.* addresses
and inside 192.168.* addresses.  Aside from the issue of exposing
internal machine info externally, at least at this stage I could
live with putting all info in one space.

The trouble I'm having is that if I use:

isi.co.jp.      IN MX 50 ms.isi.co.jp. ; local mail host
                IN MX 100 ws.isi.co.jp.

where ms.isi.co.jp's address is internal [192.168.*], mail
coming from outside our domain gets deflected to ws.isi.co.jp.
sitting on the external side of the FW [202.214.*].

As I understand, the MX record is required to relay mail from
the FW/DNS server to the internal mail server.  However if
this local MX info gets exposed externally, the above problem
occurs.

This seems to me to be a fairly normal thing to do.  Would
someone kindly clue me in on the standard way this is solved?

Thanks,

-john