Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:35:58 -0400
From:      "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@bsdwins.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Current List <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: cp -d dir patch for review (or 'xargs'?)

If you just want an xargs that supports --replstr/-i simply
install:

    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/findutils

or even more easily:

    /usr/ports/misc/findutils

two comments:

   I don't want to enter a protracted discussion over the
benefits/drawbacks of the current xargs vs an updated
xargs, nor try to do a write-from-scratch.

   The cp -d option has runtime execution of O(1). Xargs
addes O(n) due to it's manipulation of the arguement vector
in -i mode. The process I'm dealing with already takes
many hours to run. I want to reduce time, not increase it.

   Comments welcome.

-john

----- Garance A Drosihn's Original Message -----