Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 11:09:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.7.1

On Sun, 24 Dec 1995, Josh MacDonald wrote:

> The differences between 2.7.2 and 2.7.0 are minor and mostly non-i386
> archetechure bugs, but the differences between 2.6.3 and 2.7.x are
> substantial.  Especially as far as g++ is concerned.  I am not working
> on homework or a class project here or else 2.6.3 would be fine.  Berkeley's
> software group has had 2.7.0 installed since August 25:

True enough.  I would also like to see GCC 2.7.2 added to the tree (and
libg++ 2.7.1) if only because of the improved C++ support.  Otherwise,
you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  It's not like NetBSD,
where many tools are somewhat dependent on the old tweaked GCC 2.4.5 they
were using;  in the case of C programs, 2.6.3 and 2.7.2 should be almost
identical (except that 2.7.2 detects more warning messages with -W turned
on).

> Surely as you suggest most people who are in need of the latest version
> of a gcc or whatever can probably compile it themselves, but it
> takes a lot of time and effort to make sure its installed prpoperly
> and working properly, especially to test the c++ installation because
> you can't do the 2 or 3 stage build/compare with it.  It would be nice
> to at least see a set of difss or a package for libg++ and recent versions
> of gcc, this is my point.  I can contribute what I've done, but who knows
> if I've done it right.  If there is one unified version, then everyone who
> finds problems can contribute them and the GNU team will be better notified
> of FreeBSD diffs.

I agree wholeheartedly!  The main reason to upgrade GCC is the vastly
improved C++ support (but be sure to upgrade libg++ along with it).  It
pays for FreeBSD to keep current on GCC, or we will fall into the trap of
NetBSD, who (I believe) only recently upgrade to GCC 2.7.x from their old
hacked 2.4.5.  Also, it takes a certain amount of effort to modify GCC to
fit into the /usr/libexec tree, which many people (at least myself) are
not willing to do.  Any comment on this from the core team?

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL