Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:17:19 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail masquerading

On 2002-04-21 10:05, Munish Chopra wrote:
> Having a bit of trouble getting sendmail to masquerade properly.
>
> I added the following lines to my .mc file:
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`rogers.com')
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')
> FEATURE(`allmasquerade')
>
> ...then dumped it in /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf and executed:

There is a documented and working way of making sendmail.cf files from
your own master-config files.  Look in the /etc/mail/README file for
instructions.  What you tried is almost certainly *not* going to work.

On a slightly related sidenote, I've been using my own Makefile for
sendmail.cf files for a while, after I tried making sendmail.cf files
for a variety of Linux boxen and got bitten more than once by the
differences in installation instructions of RedHat, Slackware, Debian
and SuSE Linux.  What you were trying to do can be done too.  But you
missed certain important parts of the m4 command line.  The
instructions that the Sendmail folks have made part of the source at
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README are very helpful when you're
trying to do something like this.

The following Makefile shows what is essential for using the m4 macros
to roll your own sendmail.cf building rules:

	# $Id: Makefile,v 1.9 2002/04/08 10:26:27 charon Exp $

	.SUFFIXES:	.mc .cf

	CFVERSION?=	8.12.3
	CFDIR=		cf-$(CFVERSION)

	MY_CONFIGS=	hades.hell.gr.cf

	.mc.cf:
		m4 -D_CF_DIR_="${CFDIR}/" "${CFDIR}/m4/cf.m4" $< > $@

	all:	${MY_CONFIGS}

	clean:
		-/bin/rm -f ${MY_CONFIGS}

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/