Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 20:49:42 -0000
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com, Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using bash as default shell for root

>> And I wasn't sure
>> there were any other issues to using bash as root's default shell.
>
>It is apparently incompatible with sh in a few areas, but I've never run
>into any problems using it for day-to-day work as root. I'd suggest you
>would probably be safe using it as the default shell, IMHO, of course. 8)

But tcsh doesn't even try to be compatible with sh ;p

I have seen incompatibilities demonstrated, but my recollection is you're
pretty unlikely to run into them, unless someone's demonstrating them. Point
is, any script running in sh on FreeBSD -must- specify a #! line so default
shell is irrelevant.

Personally I have to say I was somewhat surprised when I first installed
FreeBSD and discovered the default root shell was tcsh - I've certainly been
taught in the past with other unices to fear non-sh-like default shell for
root on the (possibly over-paranoid) grounds that quite a lot of unices
might have support scripts hiding away here and there without a #! line.
Obviously one can trust FBSD a bit more than that, but I'd imagine that most
people working with other unices would be used to running sh or derivatives
as root.

Matthew