Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heavily loaded nfs/amd gets stuck

	No action on this in -current for a few days, so let's try
hackers. In response to some suggestions I tried raising the number of
nfsiod's to 20 (the max) and increasing the sysctl cache value to 10,
still no joy.

	I'm using amd to automount directories on sun (sol 2.6) server to
my freebsd-current client machine. Details below, any help appreciated.

Doug

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Studded wrote:

> > 	Also, should I be considering a move to -current for this box? Is
> > -current stable enough right now to run a fairly heavily loaded web
> > server? If the NFS in -current is going to be doing better than what's in
> > -stable it will be worth a little headache to change, since our structure
> > depends on it heavily.
>
> 	Well I went ahead and tried -current, and got better results, but
> the same crash. With the following map:
>
> /defaults      type:=nfs;opts:=rw,nosuid,vers=3,intr,proto=udp,noconn
> *               rhost:=IP${key};rfs:=/Space/${key}
>
> It went MUCH farther through the script (mounted about 60 out of 80
> directories) but it crashed just the same. Kernel stack trace looked like
> this:
>
> stuff
> Xresume1()
> --- interrupt
> bcmp()
> mountnfs()
> nfs_mount()
> mount()
> syscall()
> Xint0x80syscall()

	Ok, another interesting development. What the script I'm running
does is go through each user account on our sun servers, reads a file,
then uses certain values from that file to print out conf files on the
local freebsd server that's acting as an NFS client (and crashing). So
it's mounting a directory, reading 250 files, mounting the next directory,
reading the next 250 files, and so on for a total of 80 directories.

	I changed the script so that after each reading the 250 files for
each directory it did a 'sleep 10' before it started again. This allowed
the script to run through to completion.

	So, I'm still open to new things to try here. Does anyone have any
suggestions? I've been looking at nfsiod, all I had started was the
default 4 because I thought they would spawn more if they needed more, but
apparently they don't. Would more of those help? Would turning them off
altogether help? I *really* need help with this since my boss is
(justifiably I think) loathe to put this box into service without a little
more concrete evidence that NFS can hold up. Would it be better to send
this to -hackers? Maybe file a PR? I don't mean to sound like a pest, and
yes I know that we're all volunteers, etc. But after wheedling for 4
months to try freebsd I'm kind of feeling the pinch here. :-/

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Doug