Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:50:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        robalama@yahoo.com (N. R.R.)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symbolic link trouble

Paul T. Root wrote,
> In a previous message, N. R.R. said:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to create a symbolic link to /var by following this
> > technique:
> >
> > #mkdir /usr/var
> > #cd /var
> > #tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
> > #rm -rf /var
> >
> > However, this is where it gets weird.  It says:
> >
> > rm: /var: Device Busy
> >
> > #ln -s /usr/var /var
> >
> > even after I rebooted I still couldnt remove the /var directory. And,
> > of course, many things wouldnt start at bootup (cron stuff, sendmail
> > stuff, etc., due to not finding files in the /var directory)
> > It would give me some errors along the lines of:
>
> There are files that are always open in /var.
>
> If you can reboot the easiest thing to do would be
> mv /var /var.old

You can't do this. It will complain that you cannot mv across
filesystems.

Here's how to go about this after copying the directory,

root# umount -f /var
root# rmdir /var
root# ln -s /usr/var /var

Now, what are you going to do with the /var partition? Also, check the
console for programs complaining that they could not write to a file
in /var. Give them a HUP signal.

See a mail from 1/8/99 I sent to the list asking if I was doing pretty
much the exact same procedure the corect way. The method I used
worked. The subject was 'Repartitioning.'