Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:53:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Serial port problems with 4.0

On 21 April 2000, Brian Somers wrote:

: Well, there's nothing responding at the other end....  I've no idea
: why not.  Did you say you've got access to the other end ?  What does
: physical logging say there ?

I do work for the ISP I use, but they don't log anything before a login
happens.

A friend suggested I see what happens with cu, in case the problem wasn't
with ppp but lower, and it turns out cu freezes after connecting, too.  It
dials up, handshakes, connects, then just sits there.  I tried cu on the
working system and got the the login prompt as usual.

So neither ppp nor cu is able to see any data coming down from the other
end.  Could this be a problem with the serial port drivers in 4.0?

Bill