Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 01:05:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Style for patching / new bsd.port.mk

Just a couple of questions:

- Using the new bsd.port.mk, I was able to make RUN_DEPENDS accept a
non-executable file.  However, this will mean that under a 2.1R system,
the dependancy will always be built regardless of if the file exists or
not.  Is it bad form in my Makefile to paste the new section that is
appropriate so that it is backwards compatible ?  Or, do new ports stay
in ports-current, thus invalidating my question ?

- Regarding patching files: My port currently uses straight recursive
diffs to change pathnames from the original /usr/lib/X11 to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11.  I've see other ports that use one-line sed scripts
like this :

s/\/usr\/lib\/X11/$PREFIX\/lib\/X11/

to do the same thing but make it more portable. portable.  Is it worth the
extra effort to take the latter approach?  If I use the former, will users
of Xaccel or other servers than Xfree86 be out of luck?

--
j.