Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 21:24:15 -0500
From:      Gary Palmer <gjp@in-addr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ``how to'' for Vinum and mirroring after the volume was created?

Greg Lehey wrote in message ID
<19991227123124.U1316@freebie.lemis.com>:
> It occurs to me that it is, in fact, correct to read from a volume
> being revived.  The data is consistent up to the point where the
> revive has progressed, so the system can read from this area.

Why would it be reading from the reviving plex?  The volume wasn't
mounted when I was watching the stats, so the only i/o should have
been the revive.  (Yes, I'm paranoid :) )

> Hmm.  This looks too VERITAS-like for my liking.  In addition, this
> isn't a flag.  Internally it's represented as a plex index, with -1
> meaning "round robin".

Aaah.  That makes sense.

> I've tried to keep away from this sort of stuff.

Unfortunately a beast as complicated as a LVM has to have the ability
to change the way it works on the fly.

> The second example is supposed to set round robin.  I don't like that
> syntax either.  Maybe the second example should be just
>
>   vinum prefer volfoo.

vinum prefer volfoo none

That runs into problems with people calling plexes `none', but in that
case they get what they deserve ;)

vinum prefer volfoo ""

There is some precedent for the null string being used for stuff like
this.  I can't think of them offhand, but some unix programs take that
sort of flag.