Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:40:34 +0000
From:      Benjamin Mayer <maye0122@umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Converting Linux passwd to FreeBSD

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:25:27 +0700 (ICT)
Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> > Is anyone familiar with a tool to convert my Linux passwd files to FreeBSD
> > so I don't have to manually recreate the accounts?
>
> I'd say, as the passwords are cripted with a non reversible function,
> either both systems use the same function and you don't have to
> convert anything, else you're dead. There is no way to get the clear
> text password knowing the crypted one, so there is no way to convert.

If they are not the same function you could always dictionary and brute force attack the passwords. In my experience this should get you most of the passwords. The ones you dont get you may have to have people assign a new password for themselves.

I know it is not pretty, but if worst comes to worst.

Ben