Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 10:03:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Dave Edwards <davo@katy.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sa-tech@tierzero.apana.org.au (Apana SA Technical Group)
Subject:   Slow death of a server

Hi again,

I'm sure I've seen something like this before but can't find the
reference at the moment, so forgive me if its faq.

On all three of our servers, one running news, a web server, and
a serial router, we have had them fail in a consistent way.  They
continue to route traffic and are pingable but will not respond
either on the console,  open telnet sessions or start new
telnet sessions.

Nothing is logged as to what may have caused the problem.  The
root directories do not grow at all (/tmp and /var are linked to
/usr/?), I ran a cron job every 5 minutes for a while on one of
the machines logging numbers of processes, uptime, df output and
swapinfo.  This did not show any steady increase to any of the
parameters apart from the usual peaks and lows.

The servers are all 486 machines with between 8 and 16 Meg of
RAM, one using scusi and the others ide.

We have upgraded one of them (the news server) to -stable and we
will be moving another over today in the hope this may fix the
problem.

Can anyone give a hint as to why this should be happening to
me?  I'm sure I was a good guy in my previous life :)

ciao
dave
--
Dave Edwards