Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:29:48 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Johnathan Meehan <jmeehan@easynet.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead? Well, not in theory...

At 2:27 PM +0200 3/10/00, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:00:20 +0100, Johnathan Meehan wrote:
>
> > That is not fair, Sheldon. Didier has some concerns, and I
> > cannot blame him.
>
>I guess what I wrote makes for a very harsh comment in isolation
>from the grin I had on my face while I was typing. :-)

Also [, Jonathan,] note that there is a big difference between
"having some concerns", and publicly wringing your hands in
despair that "the project is dead, where should I go now?".

> > I'm sure you chaps know what you are doing, but some of us
> > believe that Eris is great friends with Murphy.
>
>I only contribute to FreeBSD because it's an Open Source project
>and because FreeBSD has the most impotus in the BSD family.  If
>FreeBSD stops being free, I'd reconsider my willingness to contribute.
>
>I think BSD Inc. have acknowledged the impotus the FreeBSD Porject has
>and are looking to jump on the bandwagon.  Looks like a really good
>thing for both BSD Inc. and the FreeBSD project. :-)

I can understand how some people might have some concerns about a
few aspects of this.  Even though everything I've read makes this
look like a great deal for all of us, I do understand that there
are possible pitfalls to any major undertaking like this.  So, yes,
people should express their concerns about the details of the deal.

Still...  "dead"?  Heh heh heh.  I'm afraid my gut reaction to
Didier's comments was also one of humor.  BSDI is going to take
some of it's features, port them into FreeBSD, make them available
with the FreeBSD-ish license, and that means FreeBSD is "dead"?
A bunch of developers currently working at BSDI are coming over
to offer help FreeBSD development -- oh woe is us?  Many BSDI
customers are going to become defacto FreeBSD customers -- oh
no, the LAST thing we'd want is MORE PEOPLE USING FREEBSD!  We
will have people working on freebsd for more HW platforms -- let
the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin?  Hello?

I don't mean to make fun of some of the possible pitfalls here,
but from everything I've read I think this is a great win-win
situation for both FreeBSD and BSDI customers.  Well, it's a
win-win situation for both groups of developers, too, so maybe
that makes it a win-win-win-win situation.  I can't fathom how
anyone would read these announcements and conclude that FreeBSD
just died.  I mean, if you do actually READ the announcements,
it is mighty hard to come to that conclusion.

I would like to say "hat's off!" to everyone involved in making
this happen.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute