Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:56:41 -0500
From:      Colin Farley <Colin.Farley@ecarecenters.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: broken fxp driver in 4.x ...

I have made this change on the switch my virtual machines are connected to.
We use HP PorCurve switches, unfortunately the switch needs to be rebooted
for the change to take effect, I will have to do this late tonight.  I will
let you know the outcome.

Colin

             dpk <dpk@dpk.net>
             Sent by:
             owner-freebsd-sta                                          To
             ble@freebsd.org           "Marc G. Fournier"
                                       <scrappy@hub.org>
                                                                        cc
             08/22/2005 09:58          freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
                                       Re: broken fxp driver in 4.x ...

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > Can you try having your network guys enable 'portfast' on your server
> > port, and then see if adding an IP alias still causes the hang?
>
> I'd love to, but I know nothing about the Cisco switches other then the
> very bare minimal ... if you can give me some instructions, I can look at
> getting it done though ...
>
> Thanks ... >

This only applies if they're using the Spanning Tree Protocol option
(otherwise there's no reason I'm aware of that making a switch change
would cause the problem to disappear, unfortunately).

set spantree portfast M/P enable

where M is the module and P is the port.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/config/stp_enha.htm#32976

The switch will display a significant caution statement when the command
is issued, but it should only apply if you're attaching a switch or some
device that talks to the network like it's a switch (I think we have some
hosts like that, 802.1q aware load balancers).