Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 11:21:26 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP problem.

Hi,

> Digital ZX6000, P6-200, 2CPU's, 256MB RAM, FreeBSD 3.0 cvsup'd from 8/20.
>
> I built the SMP-GENERIC kernel with the 1.2.1 DPT patches.
>
> System boots OK, makes it to "changing root to sd0a".
>
> Then prints:
>
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via pin 2
> de0: enabling 100baseTX port
>
> And then nada.  Locked up tight.  Booting the UNI kernel works fine.
> I can't get into DDB or anything.

Since there are 2 unknowns here, the ZX6000, and the DPT patches, you need
to seperate them.  Idealy, you want to boot with a completely original
SMP-generic and 'standard' scsi or ide card/disk.

We need the output of "mptable -dmesg > file" run from the UP kernel.  Start
the UP kernel with the verbose (-v) switch, then run mptable as soon as
logged in.

I'm not sure about 8/20, it works here, but it has some not well tested
stuff in it.  From the web page:

The 970815-SNAP is considered the most recent 'stable' snapshot. Past this
date experimental work on lock pushdown is in progress. If you have NOT used
FreeBSD SMP on your hardware before, start with the 970815 SNAP. After
verifying that SMP works on your system you are encouraged to cvsup to the
latest code and help exercise the lock changes.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by