Date:      09 Apr 1998 20:37:00 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape: Linux a top priority (news.com article)

Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com> writes:

> With all due respect though, the jihad should be against NT,
> not against Linux.  Let an OpenSource OS gain mindshare from
> the big buggy boys, and then it's a downhill battle.

Yes, but that's giving a lot of credit to linux.  I tried to get my
dad set up with linux (i was using fbsd at the time, but thought
redhat linux would be a little easier and it was more likely that he'd
run into someone else running it, etc).  Thing was it sucked ass.  He
has so many problems with it that it totally turned him off to free
software period.

I'm afraid of Linux giving a bad reputation to freebsd... linux just
has too many damn stupid windows-like problems (i.e., needing to
upgrade such-and-such system library/binary to run a new app; breaking
old stuff that worked; etc).

I think FreeBSD needs to just spread it's reputation of being the more
conservative system that is rock-solid and fast into the mainstream
press.  Plus then it will continue to attract the audience it wants.
I just read an article by a co-founder of Yahoo about freebsd... this
is the kind of thing that needs coverage. (though this article might
be really old?)

	http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6986/yahoobsd.htm

--

Steve Farrell