Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:18:19 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jdp@polstra.com, nate@sri.MT.net, stable@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org, scanner@webspan.net
Subject:   Re: Status of -stable

Hello people,

just my Andy User's $0.02 ;)

#    I really don't think that using a different source control system is going
# to make any difference. The problem we're faced with is with the source trees
# diverging too quickly. No matter what source control system we use, it's still
# not going to be able to resolve include-file dependencies, variable name/type
# changes, and miscellaneous architectural changes that make merging impossible.
# This is a problem with trying to keep a moldy source tree "in sync" with things
# happening in -current. It's possible to manage for about the first 3 months,
# but when the time approaches 1 year (like it is now), it becomes a bloody
# nightmare.

	Yes, that's obvious.  I think the whole idea of having two
	branches _both_ developed but with different speed is a vaste
	of human power.  (Why did they invented this? I thought...)

	Why won't you FreeBSD gurus say so:

	"Ok, here is FreeBSD-XX.XX-release.
	Now after the release date this source
	branch will be called '-bug' (minus-one-bug :)
	and it won't be developed,
	only obvious bugs easy to fix will probably be fixed.
	This source branch will be frozen and forgotten at the time
	when the snapshots of new -release are available for testing.

	Either you stay alone with whatever is your good-old-FreeBSD,
	or you go and help us to test snapshots,
	this way getting some bugfixes -- and probably
	some inconveniences (read: new bugs :) , too,
	but this way your'e donating your time for testing.

	Point."

	If FreeBSD is free for whoever needs it to be free of $$ charge --
	it was declared as such, so probably let it be;
	but I told you many month ago: with -stable you are
	dividing the user community and the resources of manpower and
	time people are ready to spend for those damn tasks like testing --
	testing, testing... -- raw BY HALF.  I continue thinking it
	wasn't wise.

#
# -DG
#
# David Greenman
# Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.