Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2007 00:26:23 -0800
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Kernel "Newbies"

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20071216064710.GY16982@elvis.mu.org>
>             Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> writes:
> : * Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com> [071215 10:42] wrote:
> : > I noticed that the Linux folks have started up a "newbies" project
> : > recently that allows mentoring and growth of new kernel programmers as
> : > well as a conduit for manufacturers to get drivers written and bugs fixed.
> : > http://kernelnewbies.org/
> : >
> : > Is there any interest in starting up such an endeavor in the FreeBSD
> : > community?  I think I could spend ~10 hours a week on such a project,
> : > but my kernel programming skills are mediocre at best.
> :
> : That would be interesting, to at least set up a mailing list
> : for kernel-newbies@freebsd.org sort of like questions@freebsd.org
> : but only for kernel questions.

I don't think that just a mailing list would suffice.  The model that I
see with the linux
kernel newbies is way more active and reciprocal.

There are clearly detailed projects(at least that's my impression) that
are spec'd out
by more senior engineers.  Those projects can be assigned to more junior
coders
for implementation.

Things like Documentation updates, driver cleanups and application of
coding/style(9)
standards would be a nice introduction for many people.  In addition, it
could become
a place for manufacturers to come to get drivers written for their h/w a
la the linux
driver project --> http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Unfortunately, it does require a lot of attention from mid-level and
more senior coders
to keep the ball rolling.
> I thought that's what this list was for...

Indeed it is.  The linux kernel has it's own mailing list, yet the
kernel newbies project
was created.  Maybe they are doing extra or redundant work, or maybe
there's something
to learn from it?

Sean

P.S.  Is this off-topic for this list?  If so, I'll take it somewhere else.