Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:06:04 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mikhail Evstiounin <evstiounin@adelphia.net>
Cc:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One drive much slower than another

Mikhail Evstiounin wrote:

> >Make sure you have the advanced features turned on for the WD drive.
> >You may have a slow setting in your bios.
>
> besides, if your motherboard is old - it could be possible that one IDE is
> Ultra one, while another is regular - I have board like this.

I have a Caviar 2.5 and these older Caviar's only supports PCI Mode 4,
which is 16MB/s. I didn't get the high transfer rates until I went to
a UDMA 33 HD. Then, the WD HD's were fast. I have an ASUS P2B-B and
get a real mix on transfer rates between the old non_UDMA drives and
the new ones. FreeBSD is installed on a 13.1 GB WD drive and it writes
at 12+MB/s and reads at 14+MB/s. I figured that if the slow Quantum
gave a high rate, then he has a modern mb and it should support UDMA
on both channels. The WD wouldn't understand UDMA but should benchmark
on the order of 7-8MB/s.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html