Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 96 08:41 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is "immutable" supposed to be a good idea?

[0]Oh, weird party trick:  some time just before nuking a system to do
[0]a fresh install or something, rm /sbin/init, halt and reboot and watch.
[0]That is certainly not what other UNIX systems do...

[1]It is most certainly what other Unix systems do.  Someone mistakenly
[1]wiped out init on an Ultrix box at my University (they thought they were
[1]deleting an old user account, rm -rf *), and it required a complete
[1]re-install to get things working.  I wiped out init in the 386bsd days,
[1]but luckily I was able to recover by installing a new version of init
[1]off the install floppy.

Actually, most UNIX (and XENIX) systems simply say "panic: no init"
instead of doing what we do.  Even in this state, you can recover with
a boot floppy (if you have one).  Otherwise, it is reinstall time.
(Kids, don't try this at home.)

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           |
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)|