Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 19:53:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gfoster@gfoster.com (Glen Foster)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AWRE/ARRE, was: Help! I got a bad block....

> So to what do you set AWRE and ARRE to turn them on? 1? I looked
> through all the scsi stuff I could find but didn't find anything that
> documented the options and permissable values, (maybe I'm perceptively
> and/or cognitively challenged).  If one of the SCSI gurus could point
> me to this info., I'd appreciate it!

Both are a function of the SCSI drive itself. You have to (de)select
it by setting the appropriate bit(s) in the drives modepages.

Doing so take something like SCSICNTRL.EXE an unsupported tool from
Adaptec that runs on top of a ASPI compliant driver.

Maybe there is also a way to do it using FreeBSD, but I dunno.

Wilko

> moderately loaded news server with a fair amount of disk activity.
> What does this mean?  Does it mean that these sectors have not yet
> been used for files, does fsck work the disk harder than normal file
> system operations, or what?

Maybe the sectors contain only filesystem metadata for as of yet
unused data areas??

Wilko