Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 18:28:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        djb@ifa.au.dk, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz), smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

> > A matter of choice. And there isn't just a speed decrease, there can be an
> > increase also, as it was shown by Steve.
>
> As I said before, its "weird".  I'm not ready to believe there is any speed
> increase yet...  I expected a decrease, I was just trying to determine how
> much...

IMO, there is still the stalling issue, unless IPI code is brought in.

Someone should take Peter up on his "offer" to write the trivial
IPI code, and test that, as well.

Personally, I think restarting another CPU is worth the 6uS that
Matt thinks it will take.  We are talking latency here; we have
worse latency as a result of context switching anyway, IMO.

I personally don't believe that there will be 5% overhead to this,
and attribute the observed behaviour to stalling with a CPU coming
idle with nothing in the ready-to-run.  Whether there is stuff in
the ready-to-run is the gating factor, I believe, between your
benchmarks results.

Also note that there is some minor destruction of affinity, and
that a small affinity patch would probably be a heck of a lot
more relevent.  You wouldn't need to IPI, except when leaving
the scheduler with the choice to migrate processes to another
CPU's scheduler queue.  This would be a significant win, and
take only a minor amount of code, at the same time making the
need for the BGL to go away for most scheduler operations (you
would only need to grab the BGL when a lck cmpexchg resulted
in a conflict).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---